I've heard good and bad about this blog. But mostly bad.
And that's my fault. Unlike a good journalist, I haven't explained myself very well — probably because I hate new blogs that announce what they're going to write about later. Just do it, dammit, and let me decide if you suck.
But in this case, my purpose is narrow and perhaps not obvious...
• SPJihad isn't intended for all SPJers. It's navel-gazing inside baseball. I want to debate the important issues that the rank-and-file might find cornea-glazing. But SPJ's leaders only communicate via mass emails that die without reply. We don't even have a listserve. We're a bunch of journalists who don't talk about the journalism organization we lead.
• When I ran for the board, I had no idea what the issues of the day were, and there was no place to find out. I ran unopposed. I think there's a correlation. If there's a blog that explains ourselves, most members won't bother to visit. But the few active folks might. And that can make all the difference.
• The name of this blog and its graphics have offended some. I admit doing that on purpose. Trying to have a little fun, is all. But I have no problem changing either or both.
• Talking to me doesn't mean you'll appear on this blog. The only emails I've quoted were open letters to the board and my own in reply. I would never post private emails without permission. I might not be a good journalist, but I strive to be an ethical one.
• Finally, to quote my own board email from Friday: "I'm not trying to be combative or self-centered, so I'm going to run the blog through the convention, and if most of you still disagree with it, I'll shut it down."
I'll post every weekday until and throughout the convention. After that, I'll ask the board and other key SPJers what I should do. Of course, I'll have to ask via mass email...