Friday, August 7, 2009

Chapter and verse

Yesterday, I wrote about the downside of reading and rating more than 30 annual reports — the main chore for SPJ's two at-large directors.

But sometimes those reports are downright inspiring. A few chapters out there, without any fanfare, are doing some incredibly cool shit.

I define "cool shit" as not just another panel discussion, symposium, or lecture. Sure, talking at people is the meat-and-potatoes of college and continuing education. But meat and potatoes all the time will kill you. So here's some food for thought...

• I love the San Diego chapter's "Spanish 101: Basic Spanish for Working Journalists." It's practical, it's participatory, it's great. I want to steal the idea for my chapter, SPJ South Florida.

• The William O. Douglas chapter sponsored a movie night, featuring a journalism-related movie followed by discussion. It's still talking, but it's active. So is their Earth Day cleanup — not media-related but energizing.

• The New York Deadline Club struck a deal to offer its members special benefits at the Salmagundi Club, a Manhattan arts and education center. While not really programming, it's something tangible and not talk-oriented.

Bill McCloskey, the senior at-large director and my hero — he spent the equivalent of many days on these annual reports — has compiled a list of lessons learned. Bill has asked the incoming SPJ president if there's some way to publicize what he's synthesized. I hope they come up with something. Till then, I'll offer my insights on this blog, with more to come next week.