Monday, August 17, 2009

Unresigning

This morning, I informed the current and past SPJ presidents that I'm withdrawing from the race for Region 3 director.

I intended to resign as at-large director at next week's annual convention. While I have a year left in my term, I was concerned because the current RD is running for treasurer. Darcie Lunsford has been my SPJ boss for years, first as South Florida chapter president and now as RD. I realize this may taint her campaign by association, but I believe she's done a hell of a job. She leaves behind big shoes.

When I announced I was running for RD, some SPJ board members expressed concern that I was moving down to a "lesser" position. Of course, I don't see it that way. Because the RDs deal directly with chapters, I think they're more important to the health of SPJ than many of the officer positions.

Anyway, this blog apparently offended enough SPJers that a new candidate has recently emerged, and she's already lined up more than enough votes to win the position. I don't know her by name, but I hear great things about her. She already has my support.

If this blog spurred a qualified SPJer to action, then I consider it worth the effort — even if it cost me the race. Hell, I expect it'll cost me the at-large directorship I have now. About this time next year, I'm sure another SPJer, also more qualified than myself, will run for the seat I now hold. And that may not be a bad thing.

As you'll read tomorrow, at least I'm creating candidates...