Wednesday, August 26, 2009

An impeachable blog?

I prefer not to blog about this blog, but it keeps coming up...

There's talk that if I continue with SPJackass, I should resign from the board — or I could even, theoretically, be forced to.

The problem arises from my postings about the LDF auction switch and my public critique of other SPJ business. I won't reveal who said this to me, but it's been more than one person...

I've been reminded that last year after the Atlanta convention, executive director Terry Harper led "board member training" for newbies like me. Terry said something like this: "You can and should vigorously debate all the issues amongst yourselves. But once a decision is made, you are expected to support it."

That's a basic tenet of good governance, and I agree with it. Problem is, I didn't get the chance to vigorously debate the LDF auction switch. That decision was made without my knowledge or input. And there have been others.

So here's where it gets dicey.

If the board votes and I'm on the losing side, I'll fall in line. That's already happened a couple times. I have no truck with it, because I had my chance to persuade my peers, and I failed.

But am I expected to support the Executive Committee when it renders decisions without my vote or even my knowledge ? The EC has the power to do whatever it wants, because SPJ rules permit it. That's fine as far as it goes. If I disagree, though, it seems un-American and un-journalistic to insist on obedience or at least silence.

But even then, I endorse order over anarchy. I'm not name-calling or rabble-rousing. If you see either on this blog, tell me so and I'll correct myself. (One board member has previously pointed out an error, and I promptly fixed it.)

Besides, nowhere in this blog have I taken sides in the auction switch itself. All I've done is report on SPJers who have openly complained about it, and I've voiced the opinion — shared by at least a few others — that the EC has a regrettable tendency to act unilaterally. Such blogging doesn't seem to me to rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors. But I suppose I'll find out for sure this week in Indianapolis.

LATER TODAY: Landing in Indy.