Thursday, August 13, 2009

Gems in the BS

Here's an irony: Most SPJ chapters bullshit their way through their annual reports, but even so, they contain a wealth of wisdom.

I'm not accusing any chapter of doing anything I haven't done myself — because the South Florida chapter I belong to definitely bullshitted our report. And I helped. We exaggerated our programming success and stretched the definition of "ongoing membership retention activities."

Even so, the many, many, many hours spent perusing these reports was enlightening. My partner in time was Bill McCloskey, SPJ's other at-large director. Our job was to read and rank every report. We discovered some fascinating chapter projects that the national board should note and help others execute...

The Chicago chapter defended a local journalist whose camera equipment was illegally seized by cops. Too many programs in SPJ are about talking, not doing. While this isn't really a program, it certainly qualifies as "doing" instead of "talking about doing." I wonder if other chapters realize the credibility they muster while defending good journalists from bad practices.

The Minnesota chapter hosted "Intern Night," which its report described thusly: "We invited local college students to hear from Twin City TV and newspaper outlets about what it takes to secure a journalism internship." I love practical college programming — because students get plenty of theory in class.

Long before SPJ struck a deal to co-host its national convention with another media group, the Fort Worth chapter was co-sponsoring a monthly online newsletter with its local PRSA and IABC chapters. The more partnering we do these days, the better. This is a unique one. Check out the latest issue.

Maybe I have a naive view of the national board's role, but I believe we should spend our time searching out such compelling chapter ideas — and then spend money to support other chapters who want to duplicate them. Programming is what brings in new members, and it's what keeps them from becoming lapsed members.

FRIDAY: A big hole in the annual reports.